Welcome to The Trout Shop
Not an Ordinary Destination Fly Shop.
Vertical Integration - In microeconomics and management, vertical integration is an arrangement in which the supply chain of a company is owned by that company. Usually each member of the supply chain produces a different product or (market-specific) service, and the products combine to satisfy a common need.
Wow, that's a lot of gobbledy goop. But, that's what we do.
We provide every service and product that a fly fisherman needs to successfully fish Montana’s Missouri River. Whether you are staying with us or stopping in to grab a streamside lunch, a few flies and arrange a shuttle, we efficiently help you, and thousands of customers like you, spend more time on Montana’s most popular fishing resource.
The Trout Shop strives to help everyone conquer the Missouri River with a fly rod in a manner that sustains our fishery.
Established in 1989. Fresh out of college and after a summer working on a gold exploration geology project west of Helena, Montana, Chris Goodman bought what is today The Trout Shop Lodge and The River Hub Restaurant. With a $5,000 down payment and an agreement to pay $20,000 more over time, The Trout Shop began turning the historic Craig Mercantile building located on Lot 1 Block 1 in the township of Craig into a fly shop and lodge. Instead of selling Peter Schuttler covered wagons, we started selling fly fishing products and services.
Four Different Locations in a Two-Block Fishing Town. Originally, The Trout Shop was located where The River Hub Restaurant is located today. At the time, Jerry Lappier stated that the fly shop was way too big and we needed a restaurant to serve our lodging guests. We renovated the fly shop and turned it into The Trout Shop Cafe. The fly shop moved to our enclosed awning; a 16' x 8' space looking at the river. Then, the movie The River Runs Through It hit the big screen making the fly shop way too small. We moved across the street to where Headhunters Fly Shop is today, befriended the cats living under the building and learned to shut the computer off before we turned on the air conditioner. In 1999 we sought a larger location that we could call our own. We bought our present location adjacent to the Craig Interstate 15 off ramp and turned the small house located on it into our fly shop. Today, Craig Mercantile Deli resides in the small house. Our 1600 square foot addition houses our fly shop.
On-Line and On the River
- Lodging – Book a room at The Trout Shop Lodge or spoil yourself in one of our Vacation Home Rentals. Satisfy a wide range of budgets and group sizes.
- Guide Service – Arrange a trip with an expert Missouri River Guide working the blue ribbon water below Holter Dam and Land of The Giants below Hauser Dam.
- Boat Rentals – New Clackacraft Drift Boats ideally suited for the placid Missouri River provide maximum fishing efficiency for those who know the river or want to challenge it on their own.
- River Shuttles – Arrange your vehicle shuttle using our experienced drivers with clean driving records. Let us move your vehicle and trailers between boat ramps on the Missouri and Dearborn Rivers. Enjoy an added sense of security knowing that you are insured above and beyond your personal policy with our Garage Keepers Policy covering physical damage that we cause while your vehicle is in our care.
- Food Service – Order your lunch on-line or in-house. Craig Mercantile Deli makes excellent streamside lunches designed to stay fresh in your cooler. The River Hub Restaurant reminds you of home with its top quality meals when you're not on the river.
Check out our name brand and in-depth product offering on our web site. If it’s on our site, it’s in our store in Craig, Montana, the hub of the river. We can’t promise you everything, but we offer far more than most any destination fly shop; including every fly, gadget, clothing item or name-brand tackle need you may have to make your trip a great success.
Our web site shows you everything, well most everything, we offer to you. What's missing can't be listed on a web site - our employee's desire to help you have the time of your life. We invite you to visit us so you can meet them in person.
We hope you enjoy the World's Largest Spring Creek as much as we enjoy offering it to you.