Pioneers heard the Great Northern Railway off in the horizon as they broke ground on Lot 1, Block 1, Township of Craig, Montana. Change followed the railroad's path as it linked rural areas to the rest of the country.
Craig Mercantile, established as the town's first general store in 1898, thrived at the strategic location. Steam engines paused regularly in front of the store to take on water from the Missouri River. Workers offloaded merchandise meant for the store including Peter Schuttler Covered Wagons, lumber, hardware and general household goods. Ranchers filled the train's cars with cattle and sheep destined for the dinner table. The United States Post Office processed local resident's mail delivered by the train in the same building. A century later, the train quit running.
Lot 1 Block 1 remains a busy spot. The Trout Shop Lodge and our restaurant, The River Hub, have taken the store's place. Craig Mercantile continues to serve local needs from its new location two blocks to the west inside of The Trout Shop. Fly fishermen dominate the local economy. Cars and trucks replaced the trains.
Copyright The Trout Shop 2017